Monday, January 31, 2011

Consideration


I just had my first UCC (United Church of Christ) polity class today, and all I can say so far is that it was interesting. It didn't really feel like a class, more like a meeting of some kind. Although, we did get our first assignment, which is to interview a pastor and then do a one-page write up about how they got involved in ministry. This is due in a week, which I think is an unreasonably tight deadline.

Part of what we are supposed to do for class is keep a journal about our insights on the UCC denomination. I figured this would be a good way to revive my blog. Ever since I decided this wasn't going to be a daily ritual, I've been kind of lax about keeping up with it, which I'm sure you've all noticed.

So, what do I "know" about the UCC thus far? It seems to me that the UCC is a safety net for a lot of Christians that have left their denominations. I went to a UCC Christmas party last year and spoke to people who used to be Episcopalian, Lutheran, Greek Orthodox, Presbyterian (obviously), and even a Unitarian Universalist! That's an eclectic bunch of people! It made me very grateful for the UCC, because if not for the UCC, where would all of these people ended up? Also, the fact that it attracts such a diverse range of people is intriguing to me. It makes me think something very special is going on over there.

I will keep you all updated as I continue to explore the UCC as a possible new denominational home. I feel pulled in that direction, even though lately I've been having theological issues with the existence of denominations at all. Much of this has lessoned as I've talked to people, but there is still a residual hesitation. I figure, if I don't make a decision by the end of the semester, I'm not going to make a decision at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment