Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Fable III


Over the break, I was playing Fable III. It normally doesn't take very much for me to get into a video game, especially a fantasy role playing game like Fable or Final Fantasy, but I was especially excited to play Fable III because you can play as a male character and get married to another male character. Of course, you can also have a heterosexual or lesbian marriage.

I know this is nothing new; when the first Fable came out, no pun intended, the kids in my youth group were playing it and told me about the possibility of having a gay marriage. For the first Fable, however, you could only play as a male character, and if you had a heterosexual marriage, there was an elaborate ceremony, whereas if you decided to marry a man, there was no bonus animation to watch. You and your intended would just jump up and down with excitement when he accepted your proposal.

I never played the first Fable; I think it came out during a time in my life when I was trying to limit my exposure to video games. I know how addicted I can get to them. Also, there's always the money issue. I haven't bought a console since the Sega Dreamcast, and that was a really long time ago. Side note: I've started playing my old Sega Dreamcast games again, LOL.

Anyway, I haven't finished Fable III yet because I can only play it when I go home for vacation. It's my friend's game and I play it when I go visit her. Luckily, I did manage to find a husband, one of the cooks that worked in the castle. I'm a king in the game now, but for some reason, my husband still works in the castle kitchen while I roam the world fighting monsters. I guess its good that we each have our own "things."

There's an orphanage in the game where we can adopt children. That will be my next in-game goal. In the meantime, I get to enjoy randomly visiting the castle, finding my husband and kissing him as the mood strikes. If only things were so easy in real life O_o.

I'm really glad games have come this far. I honestly have to say that when I was younger, I never imagined I would ever get to play a gay character in a video game. Truthfully though, it wasn't something I spent a lot of time thinking about, since video games so rarely deal with their character's sexuality. Most of the time, you're trying to figure out some kind of puzzle or kill the giant monster. It wouldn't be as interesting of a game without those things, but I'm am really grateful that game developers have added this new layer of gaming complexity.

No comments:

Post a Comment