Sunday, November 1, 2009

Gay Guy in Seminary: Day 077 (Vineyard Christian Fellowship of Marin)


Today's entry is brought to you by Vineyard Christian Fellowship of Marin: Drawing upon the life of God in order to grow in His character and power.

Gavin woke me up this morning to see if I still wanted to visit this church like I said I did a few nights prior. He shouldn't have had to wake me up because last night was daylight savings time, so we gained an extra hour, on top of which, it was already 10:00 when he sent me the text message. I'm really glad that I went because stylistically, the service was pretty similar in format to the evening service at my home church, Word of Life. They sang a few contemporary Christian songs at the beginning and then the pastor led the group in a discussion. The people were nice and talked to us after the service, telling us about what the church did and asking us about SFTS. Overall, it was a good experience except for the fact that I was still a little drained from the pagan dancing the night before.

The Vineyard congregation is very active with the homeless community in Marin, but they lost several members when they changed location, so they are not sure how much longer they will be able to pay the rent at their current home. Supposedly, some of the families thought the new area was too dangerous or scary. Gavin and I laughed when we heard this, because the area is not dangerous or scary at all. I suppose if you were born and raised in Marin and downtown San Rafael is the scariest place you have ever seen, then it would be considered the "bad" neighborhood, but these people seriously need to get a look at Oxnard. Heck, Oakland is just a hop, skip and a jump away if they want to see what "scary" and "dangerous" can look like! Downtown San Rafael? Please!

I'm still going to be checking out different churches for the foreseeable future, but this church is definitely a contender for a home church while I'm going to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment