Thursday, February 11, 2010

Day 179 (Sabbath)

I can't believe we're only 2 weeks into the semester and I'm already exhausted! This is gonna be a rough one!

I started my day with a trip to the doctor. Kaiser was insisting that I see a doctor before they give me another refill on my blood pressure medication. This is probably a good thing because it seems that my blood pressure medication is not working as well as it should. Still a little high, and as I am not that old, a cause for concern. Apparently, my heart will not be able to take this kind of stress for 30+ years.

So, she told me the usual; I need to watch what I eat and get more exercise. I'm pretty sure this is standard advice for most people's doctor visits, but in my case it's probably even more important. I wish I liked exercise and dieting. Life would be so much simpler that way.

Also, I need to learn how to like going to bed early.

The weekend is upon us now, and I need to make a concerted effort not to waste it like the last one, otherwise I'll be running myself ragged all term. The only hurdle, and I should really stop seeing it as a hurdle and more of a blessing, is the Sabbath assignment SHP gave us for Intro to Ministry II. We need to dedicate a 24 hour period every week to observe the Sabbath. I decided Saturday noon to Sunday noon, SHP's suggestion, would be the best. This means that during that time, I cannot do homework, clean, or work on scholarship stuff. While cutting out a large chunk of time with which I could be pursuing these worthwhile activities, I will instead be walking, reading for fun, praying, hanging out with friends, watching movies, collecting mushrooms, cooking or writing.

I'm kind of excited about this whole Sabbath thing, but at the same time worried that I won't be able to stick to it. I guess we'll find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment