Sunday, February 21, 2010

Day 188 (A Different Kind of Day)

I woke up around 10:00 am today after about 3 hours of sleep. The first thing I did was call my mom to find out if there was any more news about my dad. The doctors think there was something wrong with his medications, and one of them brought his potassium level way too low. They've been playing with his meds because he's been having some trouble, and I guess they haven't figured out the correct dosage yet, or what exactly to give him.

I also found out that no one had bothered to tell me that my mom was also in the emergency room last weekend due to complications from her hysterectomy. She told everyone not to tell me because she didn't want me worrying about it. Not cool.

I'm going to have to leave explicit instructions for the siblings that this type of information cannot ever be kept from me. Just because I'm not there, doesn't mean I don't have the right to worry about my parents if something goes wrong.

I called my dad next. He sounded really bad. I figured out later it was because he had fallen on his face and messed up 3 of his teeth. That, on top of not being able to sleep because he was in the ER all night, gave him a scary slur to his speech. I had to keep reminding myself that if he had had a stroke, the doctors would have caught it right away. It's really hard to talk to my dad about emotional things because he doesn't process intense emotions very well. Still, I was able to get across how worried I was about him and that I love him. This, of course, was done through choking sobs that did not help him to respond coherently.

I finally got out of bed around 11, did some prep work for the dinner I had to cook for the 72 hours of discernment retreat, then played some D&D. After that, I went to finish up the dinner, but I had to leave because there was no way I was going to survive a room full of strangers asking me about the school and what brought me there while my dad was in the hospital. I went to a chinese restaurant with Faith instead.




















We finished up the night with Up and Men in Tights where we were joined by Christina, Kimberlee, Ian, and Ryan.

It's good to have friends.


1 comment:

  1. you know we love you and we're praying for you, and mom, and dad... *hug*

    ReplyDelete