Monday, August 17, 2009

Gay Guy in Seminary: Day 1 (In the Beginning...)


So, I just watched Julie & Julia a few days ago and shortly afterwards decided that I should start a blog. I'm sure I'm not the only one that had this idea.

I leave for San Fransisco Theological Seminary, or SFTS in 5 days. SFTS is a Presbyterian seminary. I am gay. I am Presbyterian. The Presbyterian Church does not allow gay people to become ordained ministers. I realize this is a problem.

The thing is, SFTS knows I am gay, and I have met several gay students there already. They have an open campus policy and even allow gay couples that are registered domestic partners to live together in the student housing. I haven't figured everything out yet, but it almost seems like the Presbyterian Church has a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy when it comes to ministers, because these people have to end up somewhere after they graduate.

Now, within the Presbyterian Church, there are people on both sides of the "gay issue." But, official church policy as of the eleventh day of August in the year of our Lord two-thousand and nine, is that gay people cannot be ordained within the Presbyterian Church.

Beyond the Presbyterian Church, Christians haven't been very nice to the gays, and the homosexual community, for the most part, has been dismissive of Jesus Freaks. I realize I am far from being the first gay Christian, the Episcopalian Church even has a gay bishop! But, it is still a rare perspective, and for any who are interested, I will be recording my four year seminary experience here. Who knows, it may even continue beyond that.

Good night for now, gentle readers. Stay shiny!

2 comments:

  1. Noob, we will have to stay on each other with our blogs! This is going to be interesting... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woot! I applaud you Charles I think this is really awesome=D

    ReplyDelete