Monday, March 1, 2010

Day 196 (Back with the Baptists)

Went back to Abiding Way today. I really liked the sermon today, which was strange because of how different it was to what I've recently been expecting the pastor to say. He was talking about the earthquakes in Chile and the Haiti and also about Hurricane Katrina, and the 9/11 terrorist attack and how some people were saying that these things happened because the people living in those places were sinful and deserved it. He was basically condemning those people for saying things like that because we as human beings are all equally cursed. It's kind of that whole, "Remove the log from your own eye before you worry about the sliver in your brother's eye," thing. I kind of wanted to go up to him afterwards and ask how this applies to homosexuals, but I needed to get home to make cookies. Priorities people!

I was so proud of him! Not that I expect vile hatred to drip from him maw every Sunday, but I have to admit that I've been pretty nervous about going there. I figure this is my particular cross to bear (one of anyway.) It's harder to be prejudiced against someone when they're sitting in front of you. Of course, I'm not really out to any people in the congregation, unless the pastor outed me to them, which is actually totally fine if he did. It removes the need for me to have that particular experience with each of them. I doubt he would announce something like that from the pulpit, but I wouldn't be surprised if he talked about our coffee meeting with at least a few people. Scratch that, he actually seems to have a lot of integrity, so he probably wouldn't have told anyone.

In other news, I made an alter in my room, but it is sadly lacking a cross. I need to find a cheap (but nice!) one somewhere, as well as a nifty Orthodox or Catholic icon if I can find a cool one that's not too expensive.

7 comments:

  1. we should go icon shopping...

    and here... http://pastorachristina.blogspot.com/

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to put in a vote to have you make your own cross(it wouldn't be the first, so we know you do good work :0) ) and it would have more personal meaning and significance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, I'm not sure I would be able to fit that into my schedule. Remember how long it took to make the last one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. actually, that would have been a big breech in confidentiality and show a lack of moral fortitude on the preachers part if he outed you to the congregation... that isn't his place.

    I cringed at the thought of a sliver/log in my eye.

    Don't condemn those who preach hatred; simply don't condone them. If you condemn them, it's like saying "When in Gomorra..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. i really hope the pastor didn't out you, charles... and i don't think he would... but it wouldn't be the first time that a pastor had committed a HUGE friggin' breach in confidentiality...

    yeah i'm a little sore/hurt/upset about an incident even though it was almost 5 years ago.

    the best thing about it, though, was that it taught me something very important about being a minister and what confidentiality in the pastoral role should be - and more specifically what it absolutely isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly, I wouldn't mind it if he did out he. I'm not trying to go there incognito. But, I doubt he would have said anything to anyone. He seems like a very upstanding guy to me.

    ReplyDelete