Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Gay Guy in Seminary Day 157 (The Lovely Bones)


I just got back from watching The Lovely Bones with Faith. What a great movie! Of course, they had to leave a lot of what happened in the book out of the movie, other wise it would have been too long, but the movie was really, really, really well done! I always get worried when I go to see a movie adaptation of a book that I really like, because Hollywood has a way of messing these things up, but I think Peter Jackson really hit the ball out of the park with this one. Lord knows he has enough directing experience, and with an all-star cast and amazing source material, he would have had to try pretty hard to mess it up. Thank God, he didn't.

For those unfamiliar with the story, it is about a 14-year-old girl named Suzy Salmon that is murdered. This happens right at the beginning, and I'm pretty sure it's in the trailer, so I'm not ruining anything for you. She watches her friends and family continue their lives without her and struggles with moving on, even as they struggle to move on without her. Obviously, this is not a happy-go-lucky feel-good movie. It will, hopefully, make you reconsider the way you look at the world, as all good stories should.

In other news:

The candy cap mushrooms I have been neglecting have started to dry and now smell really, really, really strongly of maple syrup. I will need to bring them to class so that everyone can trip out on them.

The Chinese fast food place at the Northgate Mall food court has some of the best chicken wings I have ever tasted! They're lightly breaded, deep fried and have a touch of ginger. I would have bought some after the movie to bring home, but they were closed by then.

Faith got a new cast on her foot because the doctor found a crack in her bone. I'm not sure where exactly, but I'm gonna guess somewhere in her ankle. We're hoping it comes off in 3 weeks.

I'm officially tired of the rain, but if I understand it right, this is only the beginning.

I watched a video of a scribe who is part of Torah writing exhibit at a museum in San Francisco. She is writing the entire thing from start to finish using all of the exact same tools and techniques that scribes have been using to write the Torah of thousands of years. It a truly awe inspiring and Holy work. If you want to learn more, click here: http://www.thecjm.org/index.php?option=com_ccevents&scope=exbt&task=detail&oid=43

No comments:

Post a Comment