Thursday, January 21, 2010

Gay Guy in Seminary Day 158 (Fool)


I just finished reading Fool yet another of Christopher Moore's books, much loved author of such titles as Lamb, A Dirty Job, and The Island of the Sequined Love Nun. Fool is a retelling of Shakespeare's King Lear from the viewpoint of the fool. I don't really know anything about King Lear, so I can't really do a comparison of the two, but I can tell you that Fool is a rollicking good time. However, if you are sensitive to vulgarity, swearing, shagging, crudeness, irreverence, anachronisms, or just plain silliness, this may not be the book for you.

The basic story is that King Lear is getting old, and just a touch senile. Two of his daughters take advantage of this fact to bolster their inheritance, while his youngest, who truly loves him, is basically exiled. The fool, displeased with this turn of events, takes matters into his own hands, and mayhem ensues. Oh yes, and there's a ghost. There's always a bloody ghost.

In other news:

David, Terra, Ian, Gavin, Rus, Matthias and I resumed our D&D game. I think things are going much smoother now, although we still are not 100% comfortable with the game mechanics. Still, it was much more enjoyable than previous sessions now that everyone is getting more into it.

I was finally going to cook the blewitt mushroom that I found the other day, but somehow it was already riddled with holes from some insects that had been living inside of it. I literally picked it about 2 days after it popped up out of the ground. How it got infested so fast, I have no idea.

Finally made an appointment to see a doctor. Can't run out of blood pressure medication. That. Would. Be. Bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment