Saturday, July 24, 2010

Day 342 (United Flight 93)

We started our day today by having brunch with Chris and his family at the Eat n' Park. This was a neat smile-themed Denny's-esque place, and it was nice to meet Chris's dad and sister. After that, we said goodbye to Cranberry and left for Philadelphia.

The memorial for United Flight 93 was conveniently located along the route from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia. Even had it been a little out of the way, we would have made the time to go see it. Even thinking about the sacrifice that the people on that plane made gets me a little choked up. There isn't much to see yet at the memorial, a pre-existing shed is being used to display the story of what happened. The memorial is supposed t be completed in stages over the next several years. In what turns out to be a bit of foreshadowing for our day, it was not air conditioned.




There wasn't much to see at the field. After the crash, investigators dug everything up and basically sifted through all of the dirt to find evidence of what happened. Then, they filled in the hole, and grass has grown over it. Still, I'm glad that I was able to see the place where it happened.







On a lighter note, today we finally made it to a Cracker Barrel. While I'm sure it may come as a surprise to many of you that I have never eaten chicken livers, it is in fact true, and I decided to give them a shot today at Cracker Barrel. They tasted pretty good and pretty much how I expected; I've had other types of liver in my life, but I think in the future I'll spare myself the cholesterol and go with something else.




Like apparently every other part of the country, Philadelphia is hot, and my mother and I are going to try to rough it without air conditioning tonight. I'll let you all know how it goes.



PICTURE OF THE DAY:

5 comments:

  1. ok... at cracker barrel.... you have to try the cheesy hash brown casserole... i'd say the grilled cheese and bacon sandwich, too... but that's pork, which is no bueno for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did the biscuits come with jelly made in Oxnard??? We went to cracker barrel here and saw the jelly was from Oxnard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina: Not sure if we're gonna stop at a Cracker Barrel again, but if we do, I'll keep my eye out for that!

    Sara: Where are you right now? Our biscuits didn't come w/jelly :-(

    ReplyDelete