Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Gay Guy in Seminary: Day 052 (Curry Chicken)

I really like my Wednesdays. I only have one class, and it's Lectio Devina, so I really get to zone out and relax and connect with the people in my group. Of course, there's always the bonehead move of forgetting to save your homework to your flash drive, which is what I did this morning.




With an entire unscheduled day ahead of me, I decided to make curry chicken, which takes about 5 hours, but it's mostly 5 hours of just waiting. So, here is my curry chicken recipe. I think it's more of a Moroccan curry, but I'm not really sure.

4 lbs chicken (bone-in dark meat is best)

4 onions

1 tbsp each butter, coriander and salt

2 tsp brown sugar

1 tsp each cumin, pepper, cayenne, turmeric, cardamom, garlic and ginger

1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup of water & ¼ tsp salt

1/3 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar

Slice the onions and combine them in a large sauté pan with all of the other ingredients, except for the chicken. Reduce the onion mixture over low heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is gone, about 2 hours.

I prefer to bake this in a lidded clay pot or tagine, but you can simmer the chicken in a large heavy bottom pot for an hour.

If you are going to use a clay pot or tagine, follow the instructions for your particular piece of cookware. Many will require you to soak the lids in water. Mine has to be soaked for a half hour before use, so I do this while the onion mixture is cooking down.

Apply a thin layer of the onion mixture on the bottom of the pot and then put a single layer of chicken over it. Spread a thin layer of the onion mixture over the chicken and then put another layer of chicken over that. Spread the remaining onion mixture on top of the chicken. My clay pot can fit about 4 lbs of chicken. You may have to play with the recipe depending on the size of your pot. You can always make the full recipe for the sauce and use less when cooking the chicken. Any leftover sauce can be refrigerated for later use.

Bake the chicken at 450° for 2 hours.

Serve with couscous, rice or naan. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. geoff and i miss your cooking. come home and cook for me. thanks.

    and "Lectio Devina" - harry potter much?! :)

    love you!!!

    ReplyDelete