Thursday, October 29, 2009

Gay Guy in Seminary: Day 074 (Mystic Pasta)


All you out there reading this, I need help coming up with a name for a new pasta dish I invented.

Mike generously gave me 4 HUGE tomatoes that I think his parents grew in their backyard. I happened to have some dates that my parents brought me when they came to visit, but they weren't the soft squishy kind that are good for eating... they were kind of dry. I remembered when my family was here, my sister, brother and I went to La Coco's for dinner and my sister got this dish with a tomato sauce that had currants and pecans and eggplant in it. It was SO GOOD! So, I had a little bit of kitchen inspiration and decided to put the tomatoes and dates together, along with some pine nuts, olives, onion and garlic. Then I spiced it up with cardamom, turmeric, nutmeg and cinnamon to give it a kind of exotic flavor. It was pretty good, but I think a little too sweet. I had added a tablespoon of gooseberry preserves because that's all I had left of it and it had been sitting in the fridge for almost two months. I figured it was now or never. Next time, I think I'll let the tartness of the tomatoes play off of the sweetness of the fruit, but I might opt for golden raisins next time. I also like the idea of eggplant in the sauce, but I didn't feel like going to the store. I think with those few tweaks, the sauce will be AMAZING!

So, any ideas for a pasta dish with raisins, pine nuts and exotic spices? I thinking some kind of name that evokes the mysteriousness of the middle east would be good...

In other news, I continued Tom's education with magic cards and almost finished Silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment