Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Day 297 (Lies)


So, my nephews somehow managed to make the pole that my brother's clothes were hanging on in the closet fall down. Their story is that they were playing with a little metal ball, about an inch and a half across, and they threw it. Apparently, it hit the pole and the pole fell.

Now, I'm no physicist, but this story sounds just a little bit fishy to me. If I had to guess, I'd say they were hanging on the pole.

I don't want to punish them for what happened, because it's not really a big deal, but the fact that they're lying about it bothers me. I kind of want to get them to tell the truth somehow, by making them sit in a corner until they do or something, but on the off chance that they actually are telling the truth, as unlikely as that may be, I don't want to unjustly accuse them of lying.

Are they learning a completely wrong lesson here by getting away with it? Will this set some kind of precedent for their future behavior? How do we as parents/guardians/older relatives deal with these situations?

No comments:

Post a Comment