Sunday, December 6, 2009

Gay Guy in Seminary Day 111 (In Defense of D&D)


Yes, I am a gamer. When I say that, I am mostly talking about Magic: The Gathering because that is the only real "gamer" thing I have experience with. I had a run in with D&D (Dungeons and Dragons) in high school, but I have never actually played it for real. Now, this is not directed at anyone in particular, because I am fully aware that everyone was joking...well, I'm pretty sure they were anyway. No, this is directed at all of those people out there that spend way to much time listening to James Dobson and his radio program "Focus on the Family."

Dungeons and Dragons is a game. No more, no less. It is not going to make people start worshipping Satan or form some kind of cult. It is exactly the same as all of those fantasy based video games (see the Final Fantasy series...there's like 12 of them now I think), the only difference being that instead of a high speed computer and some nifty code doing all of the mathematical calculations for you, you have to roll dice. Yes, we are adding gambling to this just to make it that much more evil. I mean, look at that picture? Doesn't it scream "satanic ritual?"

I'm not going to pretend there isn't a downside. Playing this game is not the "coolest" thing to do... but I haven't put much stock in what the world thinks is "cool" and "trendy" in my life, and I'm certainly not going to start now.

And since we are on the subject, I just have to say that James Dobson and his "Focus on the Family" crew preach hatred. They use Jesus' name to spread bigotry and fear under the guise of doing God's work. You wanna talk about evil? Why don't you stop looking at a peaceful group of people getting together for some healthy social interaction, and start looking at that crazy group of people that are actively trying to tear this country apart each and every day. THAT'S EVIL!

No comments:

Post a Comment