Sunday, December 6, 2009

Gay Guy in Seminary Day 112 (Margaret Cho)


I was about to start writing my blog when I realized that I should have titled one of them "Margaret Cho" by now, so I had to actually stop and look through my past blogs to see what I had written about her. It turns out, very little. I can't believe I haven't blogged about her yet! She's my favorite comedian of all time! For those of you who don't know, she is a raunchy Korean American fag hag who had just come out with her 5th stand-up comedy movie "Beautiful." This woman is brilliant! I have no idea how she keeps managing to come up with new material; it's just amazing. One word of warning before anyone goes running out to watch one of them: Margaret Cho is a dirty girl. She is not afraid to say anything and everything that comes to mind, and trust me, her mind is a lot dirtier than almost anyone else that I know about. But, this makes for a good time when watching her. I've seen her twice in concert, and each time I was laughing so hard it was hard to breathe.

The thing I like most about her is that she has more to say than just making people laugh. She has a tendency to get very political in her stand-up, which is a turn-off for some people. If you haven't figured it out yet, she is super crazy ultra liberal. For me, this adds to the rewatchability of the movies because they make you think. Even if you agree with her, she has something to teach you about the issues that she talks about, but you're laughing so hard and so shocked at how outrageous she can be that you're usually not really aware that you're learning anything.

Her new DVD, "Beautiful," is about people accepting themselves for who they are, essentially that everyone is beautiful. Acceptance is always an underlying them in her stand-up, but in this case, it goes beyond just accepting yourself to loving yourself. I woke up sick this morning, so I used it as an excuse to do absolutely nothing productive and ended up watching "Beautiful" for the second time. It is by far the raunchiest of her movies to date. I keep thinking to myself each time she comes out with a new one that there is no way she is going to top herself, but she keeps proving me wrong. Two-thumbs up for "Beautiful", but this sucker is definitely NC-17.

No comments:

Post a Comment