Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Gay Guy in Seminary Day 121 (Finals Week)


Finals week. Technically started yesterday, but we didn't have any finals yesterday, so I didn't think to comment on it very much. It seems I have passed the flu on to my roommate, as he has been coughing a lot the past few days, but he keeps insisting that he got it from his church. Hopefully he's not just being nice.

2 finals today: Old Testament and Hebrew. Luckily, I did not have the insomnia problem from the night before, but I somehow managed to forget to set my alarm. By some miracle (read: act of God) my internal alarm went off at 8:00 and told me to check the time. Class starts at 8:30, so it wasn't that big of a deal, but it could have been really bad. I took almost two hours to take the Old Testament final. It probably wouldn't have taken so long if I didn't have to get up every 15 minutes to blow my nose. That, and as I had missed class all last week, I wasn't quite sure what the format would be. Annette, the Old Testament professor, told us we could bring a page of notes for each of the possible essay questions. I mistakenly thought this meant we could use the note for the entire final, but in actuality, we were not allowed to use the notes for the short answer section. Because I thought we were going to have access to our note, plus the fact that I was still not well, meant that I hardly looked over the material at all. Then, the two options we had for the essay were not ones that I would have preferred, so It took longer than I would have liked. I ended up taking 20 minutes past the end of class; luckily she gave us until a 1/2 hour after. I couldn't remember and dates or scripture passage numbers, no surprise there, so that will hurt me on the short answer section, but overall I think I did okay.

Please note, I am not complaining about it, just reporting on what happened. However I did not the quiz is entirely my fault, and not the fault of the class or Annette. If I were to give a final for the class, it would probably look exactly the same.

The Hebrew final was pretty much as expected. It was a short as a quiz, which is super annoying because it carries so much more weight than a quiz. One mistake and it's a huge chunk of your grade. Granted, I know I made much more than one mistake. Not to worry, I'm fairly positive I passed both of my classes, which, given my current state of health, is all that I really want right now anyway.

Remember, "C" is for clergy! (Sorry everyone out there who has higher aspirations for my academic career.)

All that's left is Church History on Thursday, and I have all of tomorrow to study for that, which is good because I haven't studied for it at all. This is also good because the professor for that class changed 20 of the terms from the study guide for the final yesterday, so that means i did not waste any time on learning terms that I wouldn't need to know. As I freely admitted to my academic counselor, I have no interest whatsoever in history of any kind, and as Church History is not part of the Ordination Exams, I have no motive to actually learn any of it. Because of this, I will store the information in my brain just long enough to pass the class, at which point it will be purged, never to be used again.

The only other thing I need to do to close out the semester is email my reflection paper for my improv class, which I am going to do right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment