Saturday, December 12, 2009

Gay Guy in Seminary Day 118 (Dorkness Rising)


So, I played my first D&D (Dungeons & Dragons) game tonight. Totally not what I expected, but it might have been because half of us were n00bs <----newbies <---- new players. It's so strange that it has such a horrible reputation because it's basically a math game. Hmmm... kind of like Magic!!! I guess people just like to form opinions about things that they know nothing about.

For anyone that doesn't know, when you boil it down, it's a dice game. You roll to see if you hit the monster, then you roll to see how much damage you do. Of course, there are certain parts of the game that modify these rolls, but that's the basic structure. I kept thinking about how it was like an extremely slow version of a video game, because a video game does all of the calculations for you, where as we have to basically do the calculations ourselves when playing D&D. It was still a new fun way to interact with people that I had never done before, and as we get more comfortable with the game play, it'll probably go more smoothly. I guess all of the questions we kept asking slowed everything down. We're supposed to play again on Tuesday. I just think it's funny how my character ended up being very noble and good, but also very stupid, so I'm always making him agree to everything and running off by himself without thinking things through.

The above picture is of a D&D character named Sir Osric from the movie The Gamers: Dorkness Rising that my character is pretty much based on. It's a really low budget movie about a group of friends playing D&D. I saw it a few months ago before I ever played D&D, but it makes me laugh. Probably because I understand the stereotypes. D&D and Magic are both made by Wizards of the Coast, so they're kind of like cousins.

Also went to a concert tonight. I was a kind of symphony/opera kind of thing telling the story of Elijah. It was nice, but I think I tried to do a little too much today because I'm feeling a little bit worn out. Still not 100%, but definitely getting better. Guess I better cal it a night so I can get some studying done tomorrow. 3 finals next week O_o

No comments:

Post a Comment